Thursday, November 25, 2010

Buon Ringraziamento!

Today is a special day for three important reasons.  First of all, it is Ringraziamento (Thanksgiving), which is a festa americana fantastica.  Second, it is the day of the debut of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in Italy (in English).  Third, it is the first day that nearly all of the photos I took ended up accidentally deleted.  But not to worry, I took three good ones in the past fifteen minutes that have survived.  And for that we give thanks.

I got up and made a pecan pumpkin pie, while Gene made multiple other things.  Here is  the delicioso pie, more recently:





The Harry Potter movie was showing on Post at 1:00.  We figured there would be crowds of people there, so we left at 11:30 and got there around noon.  We bought tickets right away, and they opened the doors right away.  Actually, the theater didn't even fill up, although most of the seats were full by 1:00.  But we got good seats, close to the middle aisle, not too close to the front.  The theater was kind of old, and it stayed lit until the start of the movie, so we could read our libri (books) while we waited.  That was nice, and so for that we give thanks.

I'm glad I saw the movie first in italiano and then in inglese, because if it had been the other way around, I would have been racking my brains trying to remember what the actors were saying the whole time.  As it was, I got a lot more of the humor now, although judging by the audience reactions, the jokes are funnier in italiano (or maybe I just think that because the Italian audience was louder in general).  Still, a lot of lines flew over my head because of my irritatingly shaky grasp of British accents, and since I wasn't straining to understand what they were saying as I had been when I saw the movie in Italian, sometimes the italian was easier to understand.  Still, it was a lot better to hear the original actors' voices than the dubbed Italian ones.  And for that we give thanks. 

After the movie, we finished up getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner.  Tara and Gene had invited a few neighbors over.  And for that they gave thanks.

The food was eccellente.  Unfortunately, I only have a foto of the leftovers, and not even of the tacchino.  But the leftovers are the best kind of letovers, and for that we give thanks.




The meal included mashed potatoes, stuffing, zucca (squash), gravy, cipolline (weeny little onions), tacchino affumicato (smoked turkey), and crescent rolls.  I am especially thankful for the cranberry sauce.

Conor apparently felt bad that my pictures got deleted (there weren't many though), so he consented to pose like a tacchino for me.


Thanks, Conor!


Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. Awww. Nice photos Bridgie! Tell Conor he makes quite the excellent turkey.

    Love love love love love,
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. You might have been able to un-delete them because when you delete you actually aren't deleting in most occasions. It isn't until you write over the disc/drive.

    Did you make any of the food?

    Sounds like ikt was an excellent time.

    I am especially please and proud that you were so thanksful for even the littlest things. And for that I give thanks.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you think of Harry Potter? I just saw it a few hours ago with one of my friends and I really liked it. It might be my favorite of the movies now. I just can't wait for the last movie! Are you glad they did it in two parts?

    ReplyDelete