Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harry Potter in italiano, plus Asiago and its People Made of Hay!

Last notte, Gene and I went to see Harry Potter e i Doni della Morte.  It was premiere day, so we had to reserve our tickets at the cinema.  The movie was at 7:15.  We got our biglietti (tickets) around 7ish, but they wouldn't let us in the theater until 7:11ish.  So we waited.  Check out the price for a large popcorn and a soda:


That's $11.62, reduced from $14.08.

More theater foto:





The ads and previews started at 7:15; the movie didn't start until 7:39.  The previews were mostly for Italian Christmas movies.

The MOVIE was fantastico!  Although it was strange to hear it all dubbed in italiano, and some of the voices were strano.  But since I read the book and speak a little italiano, I understood the whole movie.  Some interesting translations:

 Albus Silente = Albus Dumbledore
Severus Piton = Severus Snape
la spada di Godric Gryffindor = the sword of Godric Gryffindor
babbano = muggle
Mangiamorte = Death Eater
la Bacchetta di Sambuco = the Elder Wand

 The movie was NOT as good as the book.  But how could it have been?  I can't wait to see it in inglese many many times (it opens in inglese on Thanksgiving in Vicenza).

Today, Tara and I went to Asiago.  That is a place in the montagne (not the super tall ones though) that is sort of Alpinish and is famous for its formaggio (cheese).  To get there, you have to go up a road with ten switchbacks, each labeled.  Here is numero due:




 Naturalmente, I felt carsick most of the time.  Here are some foto from the twisty road:







We found this couple made out of bales of hay:




Asiago had two markets going on concurrently.  One was a mercatino di Natale, full of cute little Christmassy booths:












The other was a regular mercato:











For pranzo we had zuppa d'orzo (orzo soup)...




...and bruschetta di gorgonzola e speck:




More Asiago foto:









Then we headed back.  We went to pick up a birthday cake for Gene (Buon compleanno, Gene!).  Here are some fancy candies we found:






Here is a marzipan nativity in a jar:




Later, Tara and I took Annie Cate to messa (mass) because she had to go for her catechismo.  She got to sit with the other catechismo kids.  Some foto from the chiesa (church):






Ciao, tutti from me, Bridget!  And remember, "Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain."

3 comments:

  1. Nice quote Bridgie! The shopping looks like SO much fun! I was really enjoying all the strange and unusual ornaments until I saw the photo of the small wooden ones. Then I was surprised! We have those exact SAME ornaments -- Spag's, 25 years ago or so. Isn't that funny! I'm glad you're having such a great time!
    XXXXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOOOOOOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOX
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's why I took the picture. I thought about buying some of them because ours are falling apart, but then I remembered that you hate those ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! You made me laugh! Yes. I keep waiting for even more of them to break.
    XXXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOOXOXOXOXOXOOX

    ReplyDelete